Monday 12 September 2011

One Day

Wednesdays have become a bit of a routine recently.
Work until about 10 and then quickly head off to the cinema to make use of 'Orange Wednesday, 2 for 1' deal.
Last week we went and saw One Day starring Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess.



I loved it!

I finished reading the book a couple of days before and thought it was such a good read.
I really enjoyed David Nicholls' other book turned film - Starter for Ten and that was the reason behind reading One Day (apart from all the amazing reviews).

Although I kind of wish that I had read the book afterwards - I was sitting watching the film thinking 'I know what's going to happen next' but it didn't because it had been left out.

Anyhow, I thought Jim Sturgess was a PERFECT Dexter and yes Anne Hathaway's accent was slightly off in some places but I thought she was just right for Emma.


The one thing that was brilliant about the book which the film version certainly achieved is the ending.
It comes so suddenly in the book that you don't expect it - it is only talked about for a sentence or two.
THAT moment is also brief in the film, over so quickly but the most important moment of the whole film.

I also thought that how they changed physically over the years in the film was really well done but also the small attention to details such as Dexter in July 2000 looking after his daughter Jasmine and listening to S Club 7. 
Those things made me smile!

'Whatever happens tomorrow, we had today'


I would urge you all to watch/read it if you haven't. You'll be in for a treat. X





All images from pinterest

3 comments:

  1. Hi Honor! I'm new to your blog...it's adorable!

    I love love loved the book One Day...I haven't seen the movie yet because I've been unconvinced that Anne Hathaway could pull off a character like Emma. I suppose I'll wait for it to come out on dvd...

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't seen the movie yet, or read the book! Will have to get on that:-) Heard some iffy things about Anne's performance too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've really been wanting to read this book, especially before I see the movie.

    cute blog!!

    jwpeony.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

These comments make my day - thanks for taking the time. X