Monday 10 January 2011

Save me, San Francisco

These are some of my favourite photos from my recent trip to San Francisco, CA this December. I woke up this morning just thinking about how much I miss the bustle of this different city and how it really was an eye-opening trip.


This is Dolores Park, which when we visited was bathed in beautiful sunshine and it felt like the middle of July. It really was gorgeous. Although my guidebook tells me that it isn't always this nice especially at night.


This is the famous Castro district in the city which was also a beautiful area. The houses were amazing and something I've noticed here is that everyone is so friendly. We were standing on a street corner looking at a map and this guy came over and asked if we needed directions and he was insistent about it. It would never happen in London. Everyone is too busy! Before we came to SF we had watched the film Milk (about Harvey Milk's political campaign) and it was really interesting to see where it all happened! There are still lots of memories of him around this area.


This photo isn't actually taken in San Francisco but this is taken when we went on a day trip to Berkeley. This one photo really doesn't do the area justice. The trees are all like this, along every street, and although it was pouring with rain the whole day it was still stunning. The colours are like nothing I have ever seen before. Definitely different to the green, standard trees found in London's West End. 



This photograph was taken from a street on the Castro but it overlooks the whole city. SF is famous for its topography and this photo really highlights it. There is also the idea that the higher up you live the better the street, houses etc.. The houses along this street were lovely so there may be some truth this. I just think about how different the city is laid out compared to any European city. The block system, although logical, seems to provide such a segregated place which I didn't always feel comfortable in. I never thought I would say it but London's mess of a layout is actually quite endearing and adds another complex and element of character to the city. 


This is the Civic Center which is San Francisco's government building. We walked past this building many times during our stay because are hotel was about a 5 minute walk from here. However, when we ended up outside it on this evening the sun had just set and the dusky sky was amazing. I've never seen anything like it. It adds a certain grandeur to this already powerful looking building - almost as if it is in its own realm. 

San Francisco 2010 really was a trip I will never forget. By getting to grips with how the city works I feel I got a HUGE amount more out of the trip rather than if I had just gone as a tourist.
A great week with a great group of people. Unforgettable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These comments make my day - thanks for taking the time. X